Date: Dec 5, 2017
JOB NUMBER: 18961
Reporting to the team lead of extraction and tailings for operations technology, you will be responsible for technology development, validation and applied research from bench scale level to field piloting as well as providing successful commercial options within oil sands.
- Act as the technical lead in all stages of the technology development process from bench scale to field piloting while issuing technical reports
- Develop scopes of work (SoW) and design experiments for technology validation tests
- Lead multidiscipline technology evaluations identifying areas for improvement, drive innovation and provide results
- Steward project costs, scope and schedule
- Review and provide an expert opinion for new technology projects to overcome technical challenges within our oil sands business
- Be accountable for oversight of technology development and validation testing with project costs ranging from $50K -$5M
- Provide technical mentorship to our contract personnel, vendors, universities and external technical working groups
Experience and Education:
- Minimum of five years of technical experience with at least four years working within the oil sands or relevant mineral processing facility
- Minimum of three years of direct tailings and/or extraction field or technology pilot experience
- Engineering or relevant science degree from an accredited institution (chemistry, chemical, materials, or mining engineering preferred)
- Ph.D. or MSc. Degree in a relevant research area
Skills and Knowledge:
- Complex knowledge of tailings and extraction processes
- You collaborate with others in order to achieve the best results and deliver the most value
- You have a questioning attitude, check for out-of-the-ordinary conditions and learn to anticipate potential problems and look for opportunities
- You value integrity and accountability and expect others to do the same
- This position will be based in Calgary with occasional travel to Suncor’s operating facilities as well as national and international travel to visit vendors and attend conferences
- This position involves a combination of office and field work
- During bench scale and pilot scale trials, you may be required to spend extended amounts of time at operating sites or vendor locations
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Our mission to create energy for a better world begins with caring about the communities we live and work in, while responding to your interests and concerns. Read our Suncor Connections newsletter to see how we're living up to our commitment to keeping you informed.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Suncor is committed to accessibility and accommodations will be provided to applicants upon request. At Suncor, we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.