Position Title: Special Event Sales Coordinator
Position Type: Full time
Opportunity: The BC Sports Hall of Fame is offering an exciting opportunity to become a member of our team, dedicated to serving the organization’s mission of Honouring the Past and Inspiring the Future.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Special Event Sales Coordinator is joining a staff team of five and is responsible for the sales and coordination of corporate special event rentals, coordinating the BC Sports Hall of Fame’s internal events (exhibit openings, board meetings, media conferences, receptions) and providing internal coordination of the organization’s two major fundraising events (BC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Gala and the BC Sports Hall of Fame Golf Classic). The Special Event Sales Coordinator also handles administrative functions for the Board of Trustees, various working committees as well as supporting various office needs and museum operations as required.
The organization is seeking a candidate who is passionate about sport and sport history. The candidate must enjoy working with diverse groups of people and have a strong interest in promoting the Hall to potential clients, selling special event space while coordinating special events and group bookings.
The organization is undergoing a period of change and growth: as such the candidate must demonstrate flexibility, a very positive attitude and the ability to multi task, work independently and work to deadlines. By joining our team, the candidate must show the drive and desire to support our organization and to take it to its highest potential. The mission of the BC Sports Hall of Fame is “Honouring the Past Inspiring the Future”. As such, everything we do furthers this vision.
The Special Events Sales Coordinator fulfills a key role within the BC Sports Hall of Fame, a role that will continue to grow, based on individual initiative and desire. Working in close collaboration with the Executive Director, the Special Events Sales Coordinator is a lead ambassador and key contributor in generating revenue for the organization.
1. Event Sales: The BC Sports Hall of Fame is available for special event rentals including corporate events, receptions, book launches, media conferences etc. The position is responsible for selling the space to respective special event markets for the purposes of maximizing special event booking revenues. In addition, the Coordinator is responsible for servicing the clients and coordinating catering, audio visual requirements and hosting events.
Generate and pursue targeted leads for special event rentals while also supporting group sales and group bookings
Develop and implement a sales plan for the BCSHF, focusing on types of events with a high return on investment
Provide contract details to Finance for invoicing of clients
Develop an event sales and communications plan, in consultation with the Executive Director
Maintain up to date database and individual client records
Ensure post event follow up with all clients to ensure quality control and customer expectations are exceeded
2. Event Coordination: There are two major fundraising events, the BC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Gala and the BC Sports Hall of Fame Golf Classic. The Hall also produces a number of internal events ranging from media conferences, Annual General Meetings to donor recognitions and various honoured members’ functions. This position is responsible for coordinating the golf tournament with the strong support of a committed and knowledgeable volunteer committee, providing internal administrative support for the Induction Gala, as well as for providing event planning and coordination of all other internal events.
3. Outreach Coordination: Coordinate details for outreach activations with various partners both in the Lower Mainland and at various events throughout the province.
4. Board Administration: The Board of Trustees is comprised of an executive committee and supporting board. There are numerous trustee and committee meetings which require coordination, including scheduling of meetings, distribution of materials and minute taking. Meetings take place approximately once/month.
5. Guest Services: The coordinator will be responsible for assisting in front desk reception – welcoming guests, handling cash, booking and scheduling group tours and providing general hosting functions as required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
Previous sales and guest relations experience
Demonstrated experience in setting and meeting sales targets
Demonstrated experience in coordinating special events
Available to work on evenings and weekends based on schedule of meetings and special events. Must be comfortable in a busy and often changing environment
Commitment to a high level of professionalism and the ability to deliver exceptional customer service
Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to work with a variety of groups including corporate executives, teachers, special event coordinators and sport teams
Demonstrated attention to detail
Ability to make decisions and work independently
Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
Desire to work with and actively contribute to the team
Highly organized and able to multi-task between projects with tight deadlines
Possesses a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Have an active driving license and comfortable driving in city
Legally entitled to work in Canada; is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada
Hours of Operation: The BC Sports Hall of Fame is open daily from 10am to 5pm seven days a week. Event hosting occurs frequently after hours both at the Vancouver location and at other venues.
The BC Sports Hall of Fame (BCSHF) is a not-for-profit society, founded in 1966 to establish a permanent tribute to the outstanding individuals, teams, and builders of sport in the Province. The Hall is staffed by a team of five with a volunteer Board of Trustees who provide strategic direction to the organization. Located at Gate A, BC Place, the BC Sports Hall of Fame offers 15,000 square feet of interactive, educational exhibits displaying the passion and commitment of British Columbia’s athletes and teams. Using the stories of our Honoured Members and vast collection of sport artifacts, we provide an extensive education program, the Hero In You in school presentations, teaching students to set goals, develop personal plans and achieve success through the power of sport. Visit us in person or on-line at www.bcsportshalloffame.com.
Please submit covering letter and resume demonstrating skills, experience and knowledge relevant to this position as well as salary expectations. In addition, please state why you are interested in working with the BC Sports Hall of Fame and specifically in this position.
Submit materials to:
Allison Mailer, Executive Director email@example.com
Deadline: Monday, January 15th at 5pm.