Category: Information Technology
Position ID: J0517-1376
Every day, our passionate employees connect our customers to the world and everything in it – it’s why we exist at Shaw, and it’s why we strive to be the place where the best people choose to work. Our people reflect the richness of our communities, and our culture is inclusive of each individual’s diverse background and perspective, which makes us a stronger team.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Senior System Administrator
The Software Systems Automation team located in Calgary, Alberta is currently seeking a Senior System Administrator to join our team. The Software Systems Automation team is accountable for development and maintenance of the tooling supporting the automation of software deployment and test automation for Shaw customers.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
• Lead the creation and implementation of a containerizaton/orchestration strategy
• Design, build and support the systems responsible for continuous integration, continuous deployment, and test automation
• Work closely with Quality Assurance, Operations, and Product Management teams to define and produce deliverables meeting their requirements.
• Produce highly available, well performing systems to support software development and deployment.
• Understand and help refine un-stated requirements
• Routinely deal with and resolve difficult technical issues
• Take responsibility for the quality of deliverables
• Evaluate and introduce new tools and techniques to the development team
• Manage technical issues and the work of other developers and QA analysts on achieving reliable automation deliverables that are quality-focused
• Proactively identify areas for improvement, seek solutions and make recommendations
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
• Post-secondary degree or technical diploma in computer science or related field
• 10+ years of progressive experience in system administration.
• Experience administering Unix and Windows operating systems.
• Experience with container/orchestration technologies such as Docker, Rkt, Kubernetes, or Swarm.
• Strong system performance monitoring and tuning skill
• Virtualization experience (Hyper-V, VMWare or other hypervisors)
• Understanding of network fundamentals (TPC\IP, Routing, VLAN, etc.)
• Experience with the deployment and management of complex system architectures.
• Experience in scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, Bash, and Powershell
• Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet and RunDeck
• Extensive experience with enterprise application development and integration
• Familiarity with running databases such as Oracle and SQL Server
• Experience in internet, telephony, wireless, billing, provisioning or mediation systems would be a definite asset
• Team player with excellent communication skills both written and verbal
If you want to be part of something bigger—part of a dynamic team of people who are aligned, focused, and passionate about working together to care for our customers, then we look forward to meeting you! Join us.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
Shaw Communications, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies, please.