Date: Dec 5, 2017
JOB NUMBER: 19061
Are you passionate about safety, building positive relationships, working within a strong team environment and highly motivated, then we have the role for you. Reporting to a shift supervisor, you will qualify and perform the operating responsibilities and layout within a specified unit of the refinery.
- Ensure the safety of people, equipment, and the environment according to established refinery practices, procedures and operating guidelines
- Learn all operating units within the assigned progression at the facility and progress in increasing levels of responsibility at the site while adhering to the refinery’s management systems
- Work on a crew covering a qualified post within an operating unit
- Perform preventative maintenance and trouble-shooting to maintain process equipment
- Monitor the operation and equipment for deviations
- Report and appropriately flag all issues beyond your scope to your leader
- Monitor and adjust equipment and process variables to maintain a safe and environmentally sound operation and to ensure product quality
- Maintain housekeeping at a high level to ensure a safe work environment
Experience and Education:
- Two or more years of experience in refinery operations preferred
- College diploma in chemical production, environmental technologist and power engineering technologist preferred
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) with your successful completion of your 4A and 4B technical standard safety authorization (TSSA) exams are required
- Fourth class power engineering certification ticket or higher would be preferred
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Mechanical aptitude to allow hands-on operation of plant equipment
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to make timely decisions associated with process upsets
- Adaptive work style with an ability to handle multiple priorities, challenging demands and function positively in a dynamic work environment
- You do not take or tolerate shortcuts and if the procedure is incorrect, you fix it
- You are a problem solver who constantly asks what could go wrong and checks for out-of-the-ordinary conditions and learns to anticipate potential problems
- This position has been identified as being safety sensitive
- The shift schedule is a 12-hour rotation of days and nights (three on, three off)
- This role requires you to adhere to our clean-shaven policy and perform some heavy lifting, work from heights with the capability of performing in a variety of different environments both indoor and outdoor as well as within confined spaces
- You will be subject to a six-month probationary period and represented by the Sarnia employees' bargaining association (SEBA) upon completion of your probationary period
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Our mission to create energy for a better world begins with caring about the communities we live and work in, while responding to your interests and concerns. Read our Suncor Connections newsletter to see how we're living up to our commitment to keeping you informed.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Suncor is committed to accessibility and accommodations will be provided to applicants upon request. At Suncor, we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.