JA1 Judicial Assistant 1
Courts Division - Judicial Services
Advertisement Number: 33646
Salary(s): JA1 $48,588.00 - $55,623.00 per year
Closing Date: January 15, 2018
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Enhanced Security Screening
- Experience performing progressively senior administrative duties in a court or related legal environment
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with proofreading and editing with a strong understanding of the proper case and statute citation standards
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively within the legal profession, the general public and other stakeholders
- Proven organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet workload demands and deadlines
- Ability to use own initiative and make independent decisions using discretion
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience with transcribing
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Outlook and Excel)
- Completion of a legal administrative training program or a combination of equivalent education and experience
- Knowledge of the Court Systems, Court Rules, policies and procedures
- Experience using legal research applications such as Quicklaw/LexisNexis and CanLII and conducting related Internet searches
The position provides administrative support services to Judges of the Court of Queen’s Bench as assigned. It is involved in processing the judgments of the court, including proofreading and researching legal texts for references to citations and quotations. Prepares and drafts a variety of documents, including correspondence, maintains a bring-forward and filing system and responds to inquiries. Coordinates meetings and makes travel arrangements. Assists the judiciary, court staff, government departments, legal profession and the public in a professional manner and applies appropriate level of discretion. The incumbent works primarily independently and with minimum supervision, but also works with a team of colleagues who may require back up support.
Advertisement # 33646
Civil Service Commission
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 0C4
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.