MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include preparation for university and college, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
MacEwan University’s Financial Services department has an exciting opportunity for a Financial Coordinator, Charitable Accounting and Reporting. This position will play a key role in a dynamic and team oriented group. The role will assist in the recording and analysis of the financial transactions of the MacEwan University fund raising, restricted funds disbursement and investment activities. This encompasses processing scholarships, awards and bursaries, disbursements from restricted funds as well as recording and reporting on investment activities.
The responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
• Processing student awards and other disbursement transactions from restricted funds
• Preparing daily bank deposits
• Assist with processing donations and related reports
• Month end account reconciliations
• Investment related journal entries including foreign exchange
• Assist in the preparation of year end working papers and audit
• Ad-hoc projects as required
The position reports to the Manager, Charitable Accounting and Reporting.
• Bachelor Degree majoring in finance or accounting, with a minimum of four years of finance or accounting experience within a medium to large computerized environment.
• Completion of Advanced Accounting Course, solid understanding of Public Sector Accounting Standard would be an asset.
• Experience in fund accounting, managing restricted funds and experience with processing investment and foreign exchange transactions will be preferred. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to comprehend legal agreements is an asset.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with cross functional groups in a fast-paced team environment.
• Along with outstanding accuracy, consistency, and attention to detail, the successful candidate will demonstrate excellent computer skills, be nimble, well organized and meet deadlines as instructed.
• Strong analytical, investigative and problem solving skills.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association collective agreement.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Category Full-Time Six Month Term
Salary $35.43/hr to $46.06/hr (Six month Term Contract)
Closing Date Open until suitable candidate is found
Competition No. 17.05.093
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.