Date: Jun 17, 2017
JOB NUMBER: 14455
Reporting to the secondary extraction operations manager, you will be responsible for the operation of process equipment via the distributive control system (DCS) to optimize production in a safe and environmental way. You will execute production activities with our other control room operators (CRO) and provide direction to our fixed plant operators.
- Prior to operation, the CRO will be involved with all aspects of ready for operations (RFO) including: procedure development, DCS FAT testing, development of the operator training simulator (OTS), system walkdowns, commissioning and start-up activities (including loop checks) and mentorship
- Monitor plant operations through control panels, computer terminals and other control systems
- Make key decisions to adjust the process to respond to unit conditions
- Identify any area of concern, troubleshoot and make necessary adjustments of equipment
- Control and regulate flow rates, temperatures, pressures and vessel levels within the operating plant
- Act as the initial responder to emergency situations, evacuation, start up and shut down of systems as required
- Work closely with the supervisor and operators to ensure a safe, effective and efficient monitoring of operations
- Collaborate closely with the operations area managers and process engineers to ensure adherence to the production plan
- Maintain shift log and prepare operational and production reports
- Report abnormal and unusual process conditions, including equipment malfunctions
Experience and Education
- Minimum of 10 years refining, petrochemical, extraction and/or mineral processing experience
- A minimum of three years working on a DCS (preferably Honeywell Experion) as a control room operator
- Trade certificate, diploma or degree in a relevant technical field (e.g. Engineering) or equivalent operational experience
- High School diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or equivalent
Skills and Knowledge
- Exhibit competency in Microsoft Office at least one industry standard ERP (preferably SAP) is an asset
- Understand complex operating environments, confirmed ability in the coordination of daily objectives to achieve production plans
- Strong dedication and working knowledge of environmental health and safety regulations and an understanding of loss management techniques
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to exhibit strong judgment, analytical and decision making for complex operational issues
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to handle conflicting priorities and deliver on tight timelines
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- This is a camp-based position at the Fort Hills site
- The shift schedule is a 7 days on/ 7 days off rotation
- Additional hours are required for turnaround and outages
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
About Fort Hills
Fort Hills, a joint venture between Suncor, Total, and Teck Resources, is the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region. Located 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, you’ll travel in comfort from one of our Western Canadian hubs, or Fort McMurray. There, you will stay in a world class, modern yet comfortable, lodge-style accommodation. More information about life at Fort Hills is available here.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. At Suncor, we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communitities in which we live, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.