WE is a movement that brings people together and gives them the tools to change the world. Our vision is to shift the world from “me” to “we.” Our mission is to empower all people to change the world, locally and globally, achieving transformative outcomes for themselves and others.
ME to WE Leadership seeks a dynamic individual to work at ME to WE’s Take Action Camp, a social issues-focused week-long leadership camp that takes place over 8 consecutive weeks throughout the summer based out of Bethany Hills, Ontario (1.5 hours from Toronto). This position is to be filled with a passionate, responsible, organized and confident wellness expert that will provide basic medical and first aid treatments to staff and campers as needed, and ensuring the general health and well-being of camp.
We are hiring for this position to start Tuesday, June 27th and end Sunday, August 27th, 2017. The total compensation is 400-500 week, for the 8.5 weeks of employment, inclusive of a break each Saturday afternoon-Sunday morning, and a one-week break (dates to be discussed with Take Action Camp Director). Room and board will be provided for the duration of the contract, aside from the one-week break (during that you are responsible for own food and housing – transportation to and from Toronto can be arranged).
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Currently attending or has graduated from a health related program: ex. Nursing, Social Work, Youth Care Worker etc. or the relevant experience
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR-C Certified and AED Certification
- G-Class Driver’s License
- Youth and Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- 2+ years of camp experience
The successful candidate should possess the following competencies:
- Has strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple responsibilities within tight deadlines
- Possesses excellent communication skills, and is open to giving and receiving regular feedback
- Has the ability to work effectively and easily individually, in a partnership, and within a team
- Exercises good judgment when working with youth and is a positive role model for young people
- Takes initiative, is confident in conflict resolution, is solution-focused and self-directed
- Positive, flexible and enthusiastic, even under tiring or stressful situations
- Comfortable with physical activity
- Develops new ways and adapts existing systems to achieve desired results
- Challenge the status quo to discover more effective ways of performing
- Child and Youth Focus: commits to assisting the personal growth and development of children and youth
- Concern for health and safety: acknowledges and understand how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction
- Oversee health and wellness of hygiene of campers and staff
- Taking a lead with camper care in regards to home sickness, basic first aid and overall mental health and wellness of campers
- Ensure all OCA health guidelines are being followed and are in practice
- Keep accurate inventory of medical supplies and medications
- Review all camper health forms and flag any important allergies, limitations and adaptions as necessary
- Review camper health forms with counsellors during Sunday meetings
- In alignment with the Camp Director, keep parents up-to-date on camper’s medical conditions, illnesses, clinic visits etc.
- Collect and sort all camper medication(s)
- Create a master copy of schedules and administer camper and staff medication as needed
- Create and review staff health forms with each staff member
- Keep detailed medication and first aid records
- Ensure camper medications are returned at the end of each session
- Stock and inventory all first aid kits on camp regularly
- Oversea hospital and clinic trips
- Complete evening reports for nightly rounds
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and trainings
- Create and deliver summer health-related training plan with support from Camp Directors
- Manage any outbreaks and reporting to public health as necessary
- Ensure health and wellness area is kept neat, clean and sanitized
- Assist in supervision of programming as needed
- And any other duties assigned
- Understanding WE Charity and ME to WE programming
- Experience teaching, training, or running workshops
The Camp Wellness Head will report to the Director of ME to WE Leadership, and the Take Action Camp Directors.
What makes us unique…
Social entrepreneurs Marc Kielburger and Craig Kielburger co-founded WE and WE Charity (formerly Free The Children) 20 years ago and have grown it into a family of organizations, including WE Day and ME to WE. WE Charity was among the first organizations in Canada to turn philanthropy on its head by creating a legally distinct social enterprise, ME to WE. Through the social enterprise, 50% of the profits support WE Charity, while the rest is reinvested in the social enterprise.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and welcomes all interested parties to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We sincerely thank all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.