AO1 Administrative Officer 1
With a possibility of becoming Regular/full-time.
Civil Law Division, Legal Aid Manitoba
Advertisement Number: 33125
Salary(s): AO1 $47,888.00 - $56,229.00 per year
Closing Date: June 26, 2017
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all of the essential qualifications may be considered for a developmental opportunity on an underfill basis.
Legal Aid Manitoba provides legal help to people who are financially eligible. We strive to serve all clients with respect and dignity. Our service is fundamental to a fair and balanced justice system.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check.
- The successful candidate must have the ability to travel throughout the province.
- Significant experience in a family law, criminal law and/or administrative law environment performing senior administrative duties including, but not limited to: drafting and preparation of legal documentation, organizing and/or preparing files for court and assisting counsel in court.
- Experience gathering and compiling information through interviewing clients and/or conducting research.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to interpret complex documents and provide appropriate assessments and recommendations within specific policies and/or legislation.
- Excellent written communication skills including drafting complex documents and correspondence.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with the public, clients, government agencies and professionals.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to make decisions independently and work under minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills with the proven ability to prioritize assignments and work under time constraints to meet conflicting deadlines.
- Proficiency with Open Office and/or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) or equivalent software.
- Successful completion of a recognized legal administration/secretarial training program.
- Knowledge of the Legal Aid Manitoba mandate, application process and related policies and procedures.
Under the direction of the Area Director and in accordance with established policies, procedures and legislation, the incumbent manages a large complex caseload of Legal Aid applicants. The incumbent is responsible for interviewing applicants to obtain necessary application information, reviewing and assessing legal merit, determining financial eligibility, applying policy and procedure and making decisions to authorize or deny coverage to Legal Aid applicants. The incumbent will be required to attend Criminal Intake Courts and be responsible for consulting with appropriate stakeholders, gathering information from clients and assisting lawyers at court appearances.
Advertisement # 33125
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 0C4
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.